Job Title: Community Organizer
Department: Community and Human Services
Reports To: Community Outreach Coordinator
Park Heights Renaissance, Inc. (PHR) is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is the revitalization of Baltimore’s Park Heights community, which comprises 13 distinct neighborhoods and more than 30,00 residents. A young and dynamic organization, PHR is implementing a master plan for the community that includes housing development, commercial redevelopment, community capacity building and outreach, and human development. The activities of PHR are grouped into three divisions: Economic & Community Development, and Community & Human Development.
EXPECTATION OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
Employees will support the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community and accountability and ownership.
- A bachelor’s degree in related field or a combination of education and relevant work experience
- Two or more years of experience related to group facilitation, planning, coalition building, and project development
- Familiarity with and openness to different approaches to grassroots organizing and policy work
- Ability to work democratically and effectively with diverse groups and people
- Demonstrated ability to lead planning and facilitation of process with individuals from diverse disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in working with diverse populations, in a culturally competent manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of how to combine assets available to the team in a way that maximizes ability of the team to function at a high level
- Experienced/comfortable public speaking in a variety of settings
- High energy and ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings
- Knowledge of the Park Heights community
- Strong organization skills
- Strong marketing and communication skills
- Strong team player, familiar with team dynamics and willing to work in a team environment
- Strong commitment to social justice and social change
- Computer literate, Microsoft Office suite (Power Point/Excel), e-mail, internet use
- Current resident of Park Heights
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizing with, training and building local or state coalitions with key existing or new partners to build momentum for a demand of reinvestment in targeted communities
- Helping grassroots organizations to develop strategies for building alliances, partnerships, and coalitions with other organizations to enhance their power and to achieve their goals. This may include organizational and strategic development work, fundraising, leadership training, and non-partisan electoral work
- Regularly meets with neighborhood associations and partners to evaluate services
- Aids in the evaluation of community programs by reporting partner data, volunteer data and relevant demographic data
- Collaborating with local, regional, and national organizing partners, organized labor, faith groups, policy organizations and other grassroots partners to build successful local and state organizations
- Supporting coordinated national and/or local, state or regional campaigns on specific issues ranging from clean energy to job creation to decriminalization and bringing innovative grassroots strategies such as movement building training, online organizing, electoral organizing, media, research and policy tools designed to help partners maximize the impact of their organizing
- Working with the Reinvestment team and partners to develop and share a strong, foundation analysis of the problem(s), and what is necessary for transformation
- Maintain records and information from all meetings and activities. Assist in the synthesis of data for purposes of evaluation
- Ability to analyze raw data and results for successful execution and reporting
- This position requires frequent travel
- Other duties as assigned.
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Disabilities Act of 1990.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply, please send a resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.