Job Title: Community Organizer
Department: Community and Human Services
Reports To: Community Outreach Coordinator
Park Heights Renaissance, Inc. (PHR) is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is the revitalization of Baltimore’s Park Heights community, which comprises 13 distinct neighborhoods and more than 30,00 residents. A young and dynamic organization, PHR is implementing a master plan for the community that includes housing development, commercial redevelopment, community capacity building and outreach, and human development. The activities of PHR are grouped into three divisions: Economic & Community Development, and Community & Human Development.
EXPECTATION OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
Employees will support the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community and accountability and ownership.
- Bachelor’s degree completed or in progress OR two years of relevant professional experience in community development
- Group facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal
- Good analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Strong time and task management skills
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity, experience working with diverse groups of people
- Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented
- Must be able to work some week-ends and evenings and have reliable transportation
- Computer and other standard office equipment skills sufficient to prepare flyers and other communications, maintain databases, email, and website posting.
- Residents of the Park Heights community are highly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Community Engagement and Mobilization
- Creating and implementing activities in order to ensure residents play a greater role in shaping outcomes that promote positive social, physical and economic conditions
- Assist with the development and maintenance of a Neighborhood Association toolkit to build capacity among neighborhood associations
- Assist the PHR Outreach Coordinator with designing and implementing at least one large-scale community issues campaign
- Attend evening community meetings and events on behalf of PHR
- Partnership Development and Program Implementation
- Assist with the development of an action plan to implement youth leadership programs in the Park Heights Master Plan area or a youth component of the Safe Streets program
- Develop and implement at least one large-scale clean up with at least five (5) neighborhood associations
- Supporting the mission and goals of PHR
- Attends Community / Human Services division staff meetings and PHR staff meetings, along with trainings, events and professional development as necessary and required
- Participate, as appropriate, in community events and gatherings, workshops, trainings with community leaders, local politicians, and community-based organizations
- Other duties as assigned
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Disabilities Act of 1990.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply, please send a resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.