Violence Prevention Coordinator
Download Announcement Here
Park Heights Renaissance, Inc. (PHR) is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is the revitalization of Baltimore’s Park Heights community, which comprises 13 distinct neighborhoods and more than 30,000 residents. A young and dynamic organization, PHR is implementing a master plan for the community that includes housing development, commercial redevelopment, community capacity building and outreach, and human development. The activities of PHR are grouped into two divisions: Economic & Community Development, and Community & Human Development.
EXPECTATION OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
Employees will support the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community and accountability and ownership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specifically, the Violence Prevention Coordinator:
- Plan and implement responses to shootings with community residents and other local partners.
- Publicize Safe Streets educational messages throughout the year and ensure materials are widely displayed throughout the target community.
- Plan and host monthly events to spread the Safe Streets message
- Plan events geared towards the target population
- Develop relationships with local providers to ensure links to resources for participants. This includes but is not limited to :
- Employment Opportunities
- Educational Opportunities
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Housing Opportunities
- Mental Health Services
- Participate in regular meetings with Baltimore City Health Department staff to 1) review and assess program progress; 2) assess relevance and adequacy of the plan as it is developed; 3) refocus the plan as needed based on these meetings; and 4) determine other priority needs and goals.
- Attend Inter-community Forum (ICF) meetings and contribute to the success of the forum by contributing to the agenda, participating at meetings and by interacting with representatives from other agencies that do similar work in the city.
- Participate in evaluation activities of the community-based violence prevention program and organize and participate in a review of program progress.
- Convene and lead and/or join a group that is representative of the community to develop support for initiative.
- Ensure that this group:
- Has the ability to assess the nature and extent of shootings and killings in the Safe Streets community using data and other community input;
- Utilizes the framework for violence prevention to prioritize strategies and identify outcomes;
- Is willing to offer partnership and resources for responses and events
- Has a working knowledge of community barriers and needs.
- Facilitate implementation of the strategies identified in the plan with an emphasis on maximum engagement of community residents and existing community services.
- Meet with outreach staff/supervisor on a weekly basis to identify participant needs and gaps in services.
- Conduct a community assessment to identify resources and community organizations/groups that can assist in furthering the mission of Safe Streets Baltimore.
- Complete and submit mandatory reports and documentation in a timely manner.
Supporting the mission and goals of PHR
- Attends Community / Human Services division staff meetings and PHR staff meetings, trainings, events and professional development as necessary and required
- Represent PHR at local events, community gatherings, workshops, trainings and to community leaders, local politicians, and community-based organizations
- Other duties as required by the program or requested by PHR senior staff
The successful candidate must have:
- BS/BA in Human Service field (i.e., Sociology, Social Work, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Understanding of the Safe Streets Baltimore model
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proven ability to document program details
- Valid Maryland driver’s license, insurance, and good driving record
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a copy of your resume, by Monday, November 30, 2015, to:
R. A. Mills
Park Heights Renaissance
3939 Reisterstown Road, Suite 268
Baltimore, MD 21215
RAMills@phrmd.org, Subject: Resume for Violence Prevention Coordinator
NO CALLS PLEASE.